Pages

Monday 15 September 2008

Inspiring the Next Generation


OK it sounds a bit worthy but that's exactly what I witnessed the team do at the weekend with the help of Gok Wan courtesy of the Alliance & Leicester Premier 21 account.

I rocked up at 10.30 in the morning, Starbucks coffee in my hand and a mild hang-over to see 21 young people all on the edge of their seats attentively listening to Gok talk about his career. They had already spent an hour and a half getting a sneak preview of some of the clothes for London Fashion week and were sat back happily questionning Gok about his day, life and career choices.

By 11 Gok had briefed us on our style challenge and I was already starting to get the 1st stirrings of competitiveness. Assigned a team of gorgeous young guys and girls I was really looking forward to getting out there and helping them style their model from Gok's brief, ok so it wasn't meant to be a competition but there was definitely an air of rivalry going on - or maybe that was just me!

11.15 and we hit the high street ready to style the life out of our brief (who was by the way 21 year old Nina, a gorgeous blond, size 18 with a new lease of life having come from a relationship and career break). The team worked brilliantly together, trying new ideas, getting involved and generally having a good crack. 

Next came the chance to dress our model with Gok looking on, ready for the big reveal. A few hiccups looked like they might derail us, a pop sock incident and a pair of shoes too small could have really ruined the look but we worked through it, and Gok was a great sport giving the guys a few useful tips. 

The fashion show was great with every team getting a chance to showcase their outfit and discuss why they had chosen what they had chosen. It's weird, I'd only known them for a day but I felt so proud of them all, they did a fantastic job.

It taught me a few lessons, 1 of which I'll keep to myself but the other is that given the right encouragement young people can absolutely rise to the challenge.

Not sure how that compares to other banks offering I-Pods and rail cards, but I'd go for a bit of genuine encouragement any day.

Encore!

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment