Pages

Monday 13 July 2009

The iTunes Festival


OK, so before I get “blogging”, allow me to introduce myself. My name’s Ashley James, female, aged 22. I’m one of the new additions to the team.

Interests: Boris Johnson (!)
Skills: Having the remarkable ability to refer to Boris in any topic of conversation
Dislikes: Abbreviations, bad manners, P.D.A (public displays of affection)

If I’m honest, I’m a blog virgin - yup that's right, this is my first time! I’m slightly more traditional when it comes to writing, so don’t expect too much of me (or any cyber chat!).

Anyway, let’s get down to business. I thought I’d write about the iTunes Festival I went to at the Roundhouse in Camden last night. I applied a while back because one of my favourite bands, Mumford & Sons (check them out), were due to play. What an amazing bonus that The Temper Trap and the one and only Stephen Fry were added to the evening’s line up! I invited one of my best friends, Amelia, as it was her birthday a few days before – and being a recent graduate, my bank is still suffering (or is it the credit crunch...) so I couldn’t splash out on anything for her.

So, in chronological order ... Stephen Fry! Taking us right back beyond even his years (no offense Sir) to the time of the caveman, Stephen talked us through the history of music. Here’s a great fact (it interested me anyway) – tape cassettes were invented by the Nazis during World War 2! He also, somewhat controversially, defended illegal downloading – if you’re a student and you love music but can’t afford to pay for it, then you cannot be labelled a criminal (according to Mr Fry – I’m staying out of it!). Next, the Temper Trap – what an amazing front man, his voice is incredible. I love the song Sweet Disposition, which I knew before, but I found their other stuff a little heavy, although I definitely can’t knock their passionate performance. And now the main act – Mumford & Sons. They were aaaaah-mazing. The lead singer, Marcus, is a born performer. They all play so many different instruments (all at once) – I really hope they go far.
Something else that really can’t go unmentioned is the couple that were stood in front of us – other than their uncomfortable displays of P.D.A - when the guy went to the loo, the girl was slightly edgy about being parted from him for so long and continued to call him non-stop (he was in her phone as fiancé)... !

All in all an amazing evening – you can’t knock anything that is free. I recommend applying for one of their other evenings.

Anyway, in the words of Bugs Bunny... That’s all folks!
Ash xx

No comments:

Post a Comment