Pages

Friday 10 December 2010

Nokia's ice touchscreen

Martin Homent, The Lounge Group's Creative Director comments:

Six years ago at a D&AD lecture, I was told that my entire world would fit in my pocket. My photos, videos, friends, diary, entertainment, music and games. And not just that. It would all be
on one device.

Six years on it seems to be something we take for granted. But at the time, this was the vision of Frank Nuovo, the Chief Designer at Nokia. He referred to it as the 'digital pocket'.

It's easy to forget just how pioneering Nokia are when the handheld market today is seemingly dominated by Apple and Blackberry. But it's this kind of thinking that has set Nokia apart from the competition and given them numerous 'firsts' in the world of technology. (I was lucky enough to see a museum full of them at their headquarters in Finland - a gadget geek's dream).

So I was pleased to see Nokia back on form with another first. This time an interactive touch screen made from ice. It's an interesting idea and fits perfectly with the Nokia brand which has always been close to nature. It's also reassuring to note that this touch screen works without you having to take your gloves off.

There's something quite gimmicky about it. But it has reminded me of a great brand. And I wonder what they'll do next...

- Martin Homent @mhoment

Video:

No comments:

Post a Comment